Saffron-
Putting the graphic design of the actual label aside, this package is not very useful for someone who intends on actually opening and re-using this little bag. It's a simple plastic bag with a label stapled to it. Works fine for hanging it in the store, actually... I don't believe this even has a little hole in it for hanging. Anyway, I'm sure the average consumer will not use an entire package of Saffron in one recipe, thus making this bag pretty useless after you've opened it and are stuck with an open side and spices spilling out into your pantry.
Wasabi Powder-
An odd choice I know, but this little tin can caught my attention, because as soon as I picked it up I was wondering how you're supposed to open it... If one day I decided I wanted to make some wasabi, I'm thinking I'd need a couple of metal tools to poke and prod at this thing to get the powder out. A simple flip cap like other spices probably would have done this product just fine.

Baking Soda-
I use this stuff pretty often when baking, but it just dawned on me now that there really should be a simpler way to use this, other than jamming a knife in the side to get the little flap open and getting a measuring spoon in and out of it easily. This box might be ok for getting the stink out of your refrigerator, but for baking (which I'm sure more people use it for given the name..) a tin can with a plastic lid would have been far easier.
yeah the baking soda box is annoying because its left open and putting a spoon in is difficult without spilling a little on the table.
ReplyDeleteThere's a lot of bags like saffron that are made and hanging(or not hanging) in the store, my mom usually ends up putting them in a different jars. The bag is pretty useless after opening it and consumers are to find a different place to put the spice into another place or are forced to tie the bag up somehow until they finish using it up... but that brings an interesting topic, if it is always coming in the sealable bag, then what is the point of throwing the bag away, then consumers will end up with more bags... hmm...well I guess the bags should be made resealable which is convenient for consumers and biodegradable which is convenient for the environment.
ReplyDeleteI've seen a few jars like the Wasabi Powder and have possibly owned a few. And I agree, they're definitely difficult to open.
ReplyDeleteI find it strange that Saffon label is inside the bag. It seems more sensible to have it on the outside.
ReplyDeleteBaking soda's packaging is horrible, and the product information is wrong. Consumer reports targeted them for two-sided promises. Their designer forgot to double check and so it says that the product is good for three months while it also says replace every month! The spout would be much for effective if it had a metal tab like Malt-O-Meal products.
I laughed when I saw the baking powder because I was thinking about blogging about that container too. After I bake, I try to cover that thing up with like the clear plastic wrap, but I get paranoid about its freshness so I end up using the baking powder as an odor absorber.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on the baking soda packaging. That box is hard to open, and I'm not really patient with this things; the most annoying this is having to stick a measuring spoon into it and I'm very messy with that because i have shaky hands.
ReplyDelete