Tuesday, April 28, 2009

DVD PACKAGING

Hi everyone,

My DVD set is going to be season  3 of LOST.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the show, you probably wont understand my theme.
But basically the theme of my package is based on the Dharma Initiative, a fictitious organization from the 70s that plays a big role in the show's storyline. My design is based on their logo, and their several "logos" for each research station they have:



The idea for this is that each disc will come packaged individually in a plastic case covered with this octagonal design. as you can see from the dieline it folds in half and so the disc case will open like a clamshell.


This is the template I created for the cover of the DVD tin. I am going to use sheets of aluminum to press this design into the metal which will turn out to be an embossed look... all of the shapes and text will be "popping out" 
when i'm done its going to be glued onto the metal tin. here''s the one I bought:




I need to spray paint it... I would think it should be white since all of the dharma "products" are stark white and black (see below)
but since the cover is going to be aluminum/silver color I'm not sure how that's going to look.

any suggestions?









6 comments:

  1. I like that you are using different logo's for each disc, it gives the project variety. I can't wait to see your embossed metal packaging cover, that sounds like it will turn out nice. My only thought on mixing white and metal is to find a metallic white, or white gold paint or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the octagon shape and the logo artwork, they are really look good together. Embossing is a challenge! Can't wait to see it when completed! I'm sure it will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that you NEED to have the case white. Having it the metallic color will be nice for elegance and it'll stand out from your other designs. The DVDs can be white and the whole project will still look cohesive if the case is metallic.

    -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the simplicity yet impact of this package. I think it will be a challenge to get the tin how you like it, but it will be great when it's done. Will you include any colored imagery on the back of the disc clamshells?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. Can't wait for the final outcome. =)

    Sarom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think just leaving the case metallic would be cool and it wouldn't necessarily compromise the Dharma logo because you replace the center part with "Lost Season 3"

    -Paul

    ReplyDelete